By Mark Haworth-Booth and Anne McCauley
Public art museums and photography developed at a comparable historic moment in the mid-nineteenth century. No museum had a more interesting relationship with photography in that period than the Victoria and Albert Museum in London. Known originally as the South Kensington Museum, the institution not only collected photographs as early as 1853, but commissioned them for documentary purposes. This catalogue for an exhibition that opened at the Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute in February 1998 gives a historical overview of the circumstances of their acquisition and traces the parallels between the development of photography as a medium and the development of the public museum as a collecting entity. Reproductions include works of a number of noted photographers, including Gustave Le Gray, Julia Margaret Cameron, Samuel Bourne, Eadweard Muybridge, Peter H. Emerson, and Frederick H. Evans.
80 pages, 8 3/4 x 8 3/4 inches
To learn more about Clark publications, click here